Friday, January 21, 2011

Gunners aim to overcome vibrant Leeds in FA Cup replay


LONDON: Arsene Wenger is hoping Arsenal can recover from recent back to back Cup shocks and overcome Second Division high-flyers Leeds United in today’s FA Cup third round replay.
It took a late penalty from Cesc Fabregas to deny the former Premier League giants a shock win in the first meeting of the two clubs at the Emirates and salvage Arsenal’s hopes of advancing in the competition.
And that disappointing display was followed by an even more underwhelming performance in the first leg of the League Cup semi-final with Ipswich when the struggling second-tier team clinched a single goal victory.
Wenger expects his team to progress in both competitions but any complacency the Premier League title challengers may have had at facing lower league opposition has been emphatically swept away.
Leeds performed exceptionally well on their trip to north London and, in front of a fervent home crowd at Elland Road, Wenger knows his team face a testing evening against the side currently lying fifth in the Second Division.
Arsenal will head to Yorkshire with renewed confidence, however, following the comfortable 3-0 victory over West Ham United which prompted Wenger to once again declare his intent to challenge on all fronts, including the Premier League and Champions League.
“Our success depends on the way the whole squad can focus on the different competitions,” he told Arsenal TV online.
“I believe we have the quality to qualify no matter what I do on Wednesday. It’s just how much we are able to focus on the competition.
“The timing is not the best but it is down to us because we could have beaten Leeds at home. We didn’t manage to do that but now there’s no reason why we should give up.
“I will prepare for this game to win it then we will see. It is important we go there with a positive attitude.”
Leeds manager Simon Grayson has been working hard to re-focus his side’s efforts on their attempts to sustain their challenge in the Second Division promotion race since the first two teams’ first meeting.
Last year the newly-promoted club recorded a memorable third round victory over Manchester United at Old Trafford and promptly went off the boil in the Third Division.
The 4-0 weekend victory over Scunthorpe suggested they have not suffered a similar problem this time around and Grayson is happy to train his thoughts on the visit of Wenger’s side.
“Now we can think about Arsenal and it will be a fantastic night for the players and the supporters,” said the highly-rated Grayson.
“We’re going to have to work ever so hard. We’re underdogs against a top team, but it’s a great opportunity and we’re looking forward to it.”
Leading scorer Luciano Becchio is a doubt after suffering a back injury against Scunthorpe but Grayson expects the forward to recover.
Sanchez Watt, currently on loan at Leeds from Arsenal, will again start having been given permission to feature in the first game and the 19-year-old is convinced he can shock his parent club.
“I didn’t think I was going to be able to play in the first game but when I found out I was, I got myself focused,” Watt said.
“I knew I had to have a good game – to show people I wasn’t holding back and I was giving my all.
“We’re going into the game with a lot of confidence and I hope we can win. I want to play to the best of my ability and I want to score.
“I want to show people that I can be a player and stay in this game for a long time.
“It’ll be strange if I score but I’ll be feeling good about the fact that I’ve got a goal against a great team and a great defence. I won’t celebrate but inside I’ll be happy.” 
  

Balotelli: Mourinho needs to learn respect


ROME: Jose Mourinho is impolite and disrespectful, according to his former player Mario Balotelli.
Speaking in a new sports pull-out in yesterday’s Gazzetta dello Sport called Extra Time, Manchester City striker Balotelli hits out at the Real Madrid coach.
The pair were at Inter Milan in the previous two seasons but fell out on several occasions, usually over Balotelli’s attitude.
Mourinho even once banished him from the first team picture for seven matches but Inter finished the season with an unprecedented treble in Italian football, although with Balotelli mostly warming the bench.
“Mourinho is the best coach in the world but as a man he has a lot to learn about politeness and respect,” said the 20-year-old, who expressed his preference for his current coach Roberto Mancini, whom he also worked under at Inter before Mourinho joined.
“He’s the most important coach I’ve had. Soon he’ll be the best in the world,” he added.
“As a man he’s 10km ahead of Mourinho.”
Balotelli, who has never been shy about blowing his own trumpet – last month after winning a best young player in the world award he claimed he was better than everyone except Lionel Messi – also hit out at AC Milan president and Italy Prime Minister for having described Antonio Cassano as the best talent in Italy.
“Either Berlusconi’s made a mistake or he doesn’t know Balotelli very well,” he said.
And Balotelli also hit out at the English press, who earlier this month reported that he had cheated on glamour model girlfriend Sophie Reade with her best friend Faye-Evette Betts.
“English football is as far ahead in the stands as it is behind in its newspapers,” he said.
“All I can say about Sophie is that I saw her once and then she started hassling me with messages while one of her friends is much more interesting.”
Balotelli, who reportedly had a scrap with team-mate Jerome Boateng earlier this season described City’s Adam Johnson as having great technique and Emmanuel Adebayor as being the most fun.
He also described AC Milan’s Zlatan Ibrahimovic as being from another planet and said former team-mate Wesley Sneijder and not Messi should have won the Ballon D’Or.
And in a final slap in the face, he targeted his former team, saying he hoped Napoli and not Inter would win Serie A.
“Instinctively I’d say Milan, if I think about it a bit I’d say, but Inter gave me a lot.
“If I keep thinking then I’d decide, I hope Napoli win, I’d like to play with (Edinson) Cavani.”
  

Babel fined £10,000 for Twitter outburst


LONDON: Liverpool winger Ryan Babel has been fined £10,000 (US$15,860) for comments about referee Howard Webb and the doctored picture he posted on Twitter after his side’s FA Cup defeat by Manchester United this month.
Webb, who officiated at the World Cup final last July, awarded United a penalty in the opening minute which Ryan Giggs converted to give the home side a 1-0 win at Old Trafford.
“Social network sites, like Twitter, must be regarded as being in the public domain,” the English Football Association’s (FA) Roger Burden said in a statement on Monday.
“All participants need to be aware, in the same way as if making a public statement in other forms of media, that any comments would be transmitted to a wider audience. It is their responsibility to ensure only appropriate comments are used,” Burden added on the FA website (
www.thefa.com
).
Babel posted a mocked-up picture of Webb wearing a Manchester United shirt.
“And they call him one of the best referees? That’s a joke,” wrote the Dutch internationalon the social network.
Babel later apologised and was warned by manager Kenny Dalglish to be more careful. 
  

Rafael to face music


LONDON: Manchester United defender Rafael Da Silva has been charged with improper conduct, the Football Association (FA) said on their website (
www.thefa.com
) on Monday.
The charge relates to the Brazilian’s conduct towards referee Mike Dean following his sending-off in Sunday’s Premier League match at Tottenham Hotspur.
The 20-year-old Rafael was shown two yellow cards by Dean, the second for a trip on Spurs fullback Benoit Assou-Ekotto.
Rafael was incensed with the decision and argued with Dean before leaving the pitch. 
  

Bent wants to leave Black Cats for Villa


LONDON: Sunderland and England striker Darren Bent submitted a written transfer request on Monday amid British media reports of interest from Premier League rivals Aston Villa.
“The club can confirm that they received a written transfer from Darren Bent following yesterday’s Wear-Tyne derby match,” Sunder­land said in a brief club statement on Monday.
The 26-year-old pacy striker joined Sunderland for an initial £10mil (US$15.86mil) from Tottenham Hotspur in August 2009, hitting 25 goals last season and 11 in this campaign.
British media reported on Monday that relegation threatened Villa had bid £18mil for Bent. Villa sit 17th in the league after 22 games, while Sunderland occupy sixth with 34.
  

Sexual assault: Goodwillie charged


LONDON: Scottish international striker David Goodwillie was charged on Monday in connection with an alleged serious sexual assault, police said.
The 21-year-old Dundee United player was charged after a 24-year-old woman made a complaint over an incident at a house party on Jan 2.
Goodwillie, a transfer interest for Rangers, will appear in court on a date still to be set.
Goodwillie made his Scotland debut against the Faroe Islands in November.
He scored in last season’s Scottish Cup final against Ross County and has netted 12 times this season. 
  

Ambitious Red Giants going for a triple treat


PETALING JAYA: The Red Giants are gunning for a treble this season.
Selangor Mentri Besar Tan Sri Abdul Khalid Ibrahim, who is also the FA president, said that they had a rich football tradition and would be out to win three of the four titles at stake.
“I hope we can start by retaining the Charity Shield for a third straight year,” said Khalid at the launch of the team’s new kit for the season at the Shah Alam Stadium yesterday.
Selangor, who won the Charity Shield and Super League titles last year, are down to play against Malaysia Cup champions Kelantan in their opening match at the Shah Alam Stadium on Jan 29.
Selangor have withdrawn from the AFC Cup tournament this year.
Selangor, who are under the charge of coach K. Devan, named their 23 players yesterday. Their new signings are Mohd Fadli Saari, K. Deepan, S. Sritharan, Azidan Sarudin, Saiful Amar Sudar and Yosri Dermaraju.
A ticket for the Charity Shield match, which is also a home Super League fixture for Selangor, has been priced at RM20.
The FAS have also decided to increase the ticket price for their other home matches this season from RM10 to RM15.