Showing posts with label Ligue 1. Show all posts
Showing posts with label Ligue 1. Show all posts

Friday, February 4, 2011

PSG striker Guillaume Hoarau in form again


PARIS (AP): Paris Saint-Germain striker Guillaume Hoarau, whose confidence hit rock-bottom earlier this season after spending 11 games without scoring, is starting to silence his critics.
Hoarau's capacities to deliver at the highest level were questioned when he broke into tears after being substituted earlier this season during a game at Montpellier.
Sitting on the bench, the 26-year-old forward started to cry, with pundits questioning whether he would be mentally strong enough to bounce back.
The France forward answered with a hat trick in a 4-1 win over Martigues in the French Cup on Wednesday, hitting form again at the right time before next week's friendly against Brazil.
Hoarau is also expected to start PSG's league match at fourth-place Rennes on Saturday. PSG is in second place in the standings, four points behind leader Lille.
"The important thing was to get through. We went about things in the right manner," Hoarau said after his hat trick. "For a striker, there is nothing better than scoring a goal, although I benefited from the hard work put in by my teammates."
This season, Hoarau has often been overshadowed by Brazilian midfielder Nene, who already has 13 goals and has inspired PSG's rise to second place in the standings.
Hoarau has scored only six goals in 20 league matches but France coach Laurent Blanc has maintained his confidence in the tall forward. Hoarau is now hoping his hat trick will be rewarded by a spot in Blanc's squad for the Brazil match.
"This match against Brazil is like the icing on the cake," Hoarau said. "The France team needs players able to perform and I rang the bell (with my hat trick). Until now I've been left unsatisfied with France, I didn't manage to fully become part of the team."
PSG coach Antoine Kombouare, whose support to Hoarau never wavered, was pleased by the striker's best performance this season.
"He had a great match," Kombouare said. "It's very important both for him and the team. I'm really happy to see him playing good matches at the highest level again."
Against Rennes, Kombouare is likely to be without midfielder Claude Makelele, who injured his left ankle last week. Striker Peguy Luyindula is also doubtful after picking up a pelvis injury at Martigues.
Fourth-place Rennes is lagging three points behind PSG in the standings and will try to bounce back after back-to-back defeats. The club was handed an humiliating 5-1 loss by Sochaux last weekend before losing 4-3 to second-division side Reims in the French Cup.
"Rennes will be a wounded animal after conceding nine goals in two games," Kombouare said. Unbeaten in 11 league matches, Lille plays at Auxerre on Sunday while defending champion Marseille hosts last-place Avignon.
Also Saturday, it's: Brest vs. Nancy; Caen vs. Lorient; Lens vs. Valenciennes; Montpellier vs. Saint-Etienne; and Nice vs. Sochaux.
Marseille coach Didier Deschamps has asked his players to show they are capable of defending their title this season following a disappointing scoreless draw against Monaco.
"I know it's the best attack against the worst defence, but at least the players will be awake after what happened in Monaco, where they maybe thought we had already won the game," Deschamps said. "I want them to take the three points."
  

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Struggling Racing Lens name Boloni as coach


LENS (France): Laszlo Boloni was named coach of struggling Racing Lens in place of Jean-Guy Wallemme, club president Gervais Martel said on Sunday.
Wallemme told officials he wanted to step down after the last game before the winter break against Bordeaux, Martel said in a statement.
“Laszlo Boloni’s mission is to keep the team in Ligue 1. “We need to focus on avoiding relegation,” he told a press conference. “Jean-Guy told me he was no longer able to give new impetus.”
Boloni, 57, is a former Romania international. He has coached French clubs AS Nancy, Stade Rennes and Monaco and Belgium’s Standard Liege.
Wallemme, a former Lens player, had been coach since 2008. He helped the Northerners reach the top flight in his first year. 
  

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Lille primed to fend off big guns


PARIS: Ligue 1 leaders Lille have emerged as surprise French title favourites midway through the season but must be braced for a serious challenge from the traditional powerhouses in the second half of the campaign.
Lille’s rise to the top has been unexpected because “Les Dogues” were last crowned French champions in 1954 and only returned to the top flight 11 years ago.
But during the past decade Lille have shown ambition, taken initiatives and recruited well. The construction of a bigger stadium due to be finished in 2012 should establish them in the top echelons of French football.
The Northerners have been rewarded for their exciting attacking style which has brought them 33 league goals.
Rudi Garcia’s men finished the year with an eight-match unbeaten run in all competitions, a streak including scintillating performances at Caen (5-2) and against Lorient (6-3).
They have found in Moussa Sow the goal-scorer they lacked in previous years and 19-year-old Belgian Eden Hazard is one of the most talented teenagers in Europe. The winger has reportedly attracted interest from leading clubs including Real Madrid and Arsenal.
However, Lille’s limitations have been exposed by fellow title contenders Lyon and Olympique Marseille who both beat them 3-1, their only two defeats of the campaign.
“The second half of the season is going to be just as complicated,” midfielder Yohan Cabaye said. “There are six months left. If we are still in the race in the final stages, of course we will be going for the title.”
Lille have benefited from the big guns’ inability to seize chances to take over. Lille have 32 points, one ahead of Paris Saint Germain, Stade Rennes and Olympique Lyon.
The threat could come from Lyon who have staged an fine comeback after a catastrophic start to the season. The French champions from 2002 to 2008 were in the relegation zone after seven games, but have enjoyed a 12-game unbeaten run inspired by playmaker Lisandro.
Champions Marseille could also challenge in 2011. They have stuttered in their last few weeks, snatching just four points from five games, but are only three points off the pace in fifth.
  

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Much-travelled Bellion joins former club Nice


NICE (France): Much-travelled French striker David Bellion (pic) returned to one of his former clubs Nice on loan for the rest of the season on Tuesday from French rivals Bordeaux.
The 28-year-old – who previously played for Nice from 2006-07 before moving to Bordeaux – was an integral component of the Bordeaux team that won the 2009 title under present France coach Laurent Blanc.
However, the former Sunderland, Manchester United and West Ham forward has failed to find favour with Blanc’s replacement as coach Jean Tigana and he has seen action just twice this term – both times as a substitute.
Bellion, who is under contract with Bordeaux till 2014, scored 12 times in 45 appearances for Nice in his previous spell and should boost an attack that has scored only 14 goals in 19 matches this term.
They are also hovering over the relegation zone, five points ahead of third from bottom Caen.
Bellion’s arrival coincides with the departure of Benin international striker Mickael Pote, the 26-year-old having been loaned to promotion-chasing Second Division outfit Le Mans.
  

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Highly-rated Benin star wants out of PSG

PARIS: Classy Benin international attacking midfielder Stephane Sessegnon insisted on Thursday he saw no option but to leave high flying French giants Paris Saint Germain thereby alerting several interested English Premier League clubs.
The 26-year-old – who signed for PSG for 8mil from Le Mans in 2008 – told L’Equipe that he could not stay and play for coach Antoine Kombouare after being insulted by him at training on Tuesday.
“The coach insulted me,” said Sessegnon, who has been capped over 30 times by his country and also captained them.
“I believe that a coach cannot call one of his players ‘a**hole’ or call him ‘a s**t player’ as was the case with me on Tuesday. There that is what he said to me, I am not going to cover up what he said.

“Under these conditions, it appears to me that it is impossible to continue to play for Paris. Impossible.”
Sessegnon, who was nominated in the player of the 2008/09 season awards after a memorable debut campaign for PSG, said that he had been astonished by the personal nature of the attack by Kombouare, a former PSG central defender who as coach guided them to last season’s French Cup.
“It has gone too far,” he said referring to his relations with the coach.
“I had so much respect for him, he was someone I really appreciated, but what he said has really hurt me.
“He has his character, I have mine. But here, this has gone beyond repair ....” added Sessegnon, who reluctantly signed a year’s extension to his contract at the end of last term when several English clubs were seeking his services.
Kombouare, who cut his teeth coaching Valenciennes before PSG took him on in 2009, denied that he had used such language in his row with the player.
“I accept that the discussion was animated but never would I permit myself to insult him in such a manner,” said Kombouare.